1. What driving license should I take?
2. The most economically (not cheapest but value for money) option to get my Singapore driving license
3. What you need to avoid by doing this
4. Changing of several private instructors (not all were good) until I settled for one good one.
And oh boy, unless you just want to throw money (more costly) with the driving school, I suggest you try the path I’ve taken.
For this website, I look forward to sharing my experience with you and I hope your journey will be far simpler in comparison with what I underwent. We aim to provide the best match for you in hunting for your private driving instructor and elearning support for your Basic Theory Test (BTT) and Final Theory Test (FTT). When taking your Singapore driving license, you can hire a private driving instructor for your practical tests at the same time while studying for your basic theory test and final theory test. Check out the Traffic Police Singapore website for other details.
What to cover / learn in Basic Theory Test / Exam?
We highly recommend you purchase the Basic Theory of Driving – The Official Handbook from the school ( it comes as a package with the Final Theory Test handbook) when you book for your Basic Theory Test.
Introduction to driving (in Singapore), different classes of driving licenses
Singapore Road Signs and Signals (you literally really need to memorise each one of these)
Singapore Traffic Rules and Regulations (again just pure memorisation)
Code of Conduct on the road
Parts and Control of A Car (Basic)
And other nitty gritty details which we will not cover here.
After you clear your Basic Theory Test (you will get your results right away with a print out), your Basic Theory Test “Pass Results” stays with you for life.
This means that, you may go on to do the next 2 steps (together if you want)
1. Get a Provisional Driving License (PDL) – this allows you to learn practical lessons on the roads with a certified driving instructor. Without this PDL, you cannot book for your driving lessons
2. Book your Final Theory Test date. You definitely have to clear your Basic Theory Test Date before booking for your Final Theory Test Date.
We will help you clear your Basic Theory Test (BTT) with ease.
Taking Your Driving Lessons in Singapore for your Traffic Police Driving License Test
Generally speaking your driving lessons (from beginning to end) consist of both theoretical and practical lessons.
The sequence of your driving lessons are as (in order):
1. Basic Theory Lessons (theoretical)
You are able to really study from home at your own comfort or you can attend the lessons covered by the various driving schools. To be honest, the Basic Theory Test is based on the basic concepts of driving and learning the various road signs and traffic regulation. Basically rote learning (memorization) in my personal opinion.
2. Final Theory Lessons (theoretical)
Commonly known as “Advance Theory Test”, you can too attend final theory driving lessons if you’d like to and like the Basic Theory Tests, we feel it is sufficient to study at your own pace.
3. Practical Driving Lessons (practical)
Unlike the theoretical nature above, you are required to either attend a driving school for your school driving lessons or engage a private driving instructor for your private driving lessons.